How are tenant references provided?
We use an external referencing agency that carry out credit searches. If the tenants are international we obtain guarantees from parents, companies or educational establishments.

Shall I leave my home furnished or unfurnished?
There is a market for both. We can advise you on the best course of action to suit your individual needs

What insurance should I obtain?
You should ensure that you have contents and buildings insurances. Even if your property is unfurnished it will be necessary to cover items like carpets.

How will I get paid?
If the property is managed by us we will transfer the rent via our on-line banking facility normally the transfer is made on the day that the rental is due.
For introduction only properties, we provide tenants with the landlord’s bank account details before they move in so they can set up a standing order.

For managed properties, the deposit protection service will hold the deposit and will only release it with both landlord and tenant agreement.

What length of tenancy should I have?
The majority of tenancies are on an assured shorthold for a period of six months. Shorter tenancies can be created if required. After the initial six months has expired, the tenants often stay on by way of a periodic contract on a month-by-month basis, under the same conditions as the original agreement. Should they wish to vacate, they would need to provide at least one month’s prior notice in writing.

What happens at the end of a tenancy?
If the tenants have served notice and the landlord wishes to re-let the property we will market it immediately. Under a full management service we check the state of the property against any stated inventory and ensure that the deposit is used to make any necessary repairs or cleaning.

What are any applicable legal requirements?
As a landlord, you must provide a Gas Safety Certificate for any property which has gas connected and an Electrical Safety Certificate. These must be carried out by CORGI and NICEIC registered engineers respectively. The gas certificate is valid for twelve months. Any soft foam furnishings – sofas, mattresses, cushions, etc. must have been purchased post 1988, the majority of items will have a sticker on them stating fire compliant. Without the sticker we will need either proof of purchase or a signed letter from the owner guaranteeing that the relevant item was purchased after 1988.

Law requires landlords to have an EPC. This shows the official energy efficiency rating of a property. It also provides a rating for the building, showing its energy efficiency and its environmental impact on a scale from A-G (where A is the most efficient and G the least efficient), in graphical format. It also contains recommended ways to improve the building’s energy performance. All properties in the UK that are rented will have to have an Energy Performance Certificate, in accordance with the European Energy Performance of Buildings Directive. Investmore can supply a detailed guide to the current safety regulations on request and can arrange for required certificate to be carried out.